Spicy Vermont Sausage, Tomato and Lentil Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil.
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and diced
1-cup lentils, rinsed and picked thru
5 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
1 bay leaf, 2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 can diced tomatoes (or fresh seeded tomatoes in summer)
Vermont Smoke and Cure hot sausage
1 bunch fresh spinach
Salt and pepper
- In a stockpot, sauté onion in olive oil until soft then add garlic and carrots cook stirring gently about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add bay leaf and thyme and simmer about 20 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, bake the sausage on a parchment lined cookie sheet until no longer pink, about 15 minutes at 350º. Cool slightly and slice.
- Add to the soup the tomatoes and sausage.
- Chop fresh spinach about 1 cup and add to soup.
- Remove bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy with Rutland Rye Castleton Crackers.