Wild Rice and Corn Chowder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
2 boxes Long Grain Wild Rice (I like Uncle Ben’s)
3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable)
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
2 cans evaporated skim milk
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium stockpot on medium-high heat, cook the onions in the oil and butter until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the two boxes of wild rice and only one spice packet, if included and the amount of water called for.
- Bring the rice mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Add the chicken broth.
- If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs and blanch the kernels for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (if using frozen corn, you can skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup.
- Add the evaporated skim milk.
Cook for 8-10 more minutes, until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve hot. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serves 6.
Enjoy with Windham Wheat Castleton Crackers.
Additional add- in suggestions:
Smoked Turkey, chopped